Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hello....... My First Encounter With Sebarau

This is the first time I try to write in the blog... feel a bit nervous and hopefully nothing would go wrong..


I've been fishing for sebarau since my early days and I’m still crazy about it. I still remember when and how I get my first Sebarau. That was years ago when me and my families went for a 3 days 2 nights stay at a boat house in Kenyir Dam. During that time I’ve no knowledge about the tackle and bait need to catch this fish. The only things I bring along are a few "cheap" spoon and spinner.


On that faithful morning, I was casting my spoon near a semi submerge log near my boat house, just when the spoon touched the water, suddenly there are something grabbing the spoon and try to get away with it. I was stunk by that moment but later realised that a fish had taken the bait. The fish had no chance to fight back as the tackle I use during that time are heavy as a 12kg tomman can be landed easily....hahaha. After the fish had been landed than I realised it was a small sebarau (My fish sebarau). During that time, I just can't believe how a small fish can give you such a fight to the end...


I'm still not serious in fishing for sebarau only after a few years when I went back to Kenyir Dam for a second visit. During this visit, I stayed at the Musang Kenyir Resort. This time I've better equipped myself with more spoons, spinner and a few Rapala crank bait. During the first day fishing at Sg Tembat with my brother and our guide, we watched our guide (Choong) caught a 2kg++ sebarau just only after a few cast. Soon after the first sebarau, Choong get another hook up again and this time is a tomman. Me and my brother are amaze but surprise why there is no taker for our baits? We soon stop casting our lure as the tackle set we bring along are too heavy to continue casting (Ugly Stik with unknown spinning reel with 25lb mono line).


Soon after this trip, I start to invest on the tackle and lure. I still remembered back then Rapala Shad Rap still cost only RM13-15. I bought my fist bait casting reel Abu 4600 with about RM300 and Daiwa Bait casting Rod (less than RM100).Together with this I have also purchase about 8pcs of SR8 CW from a shop at Beach Road, Singapore (during that time I was working in Singapore).


That was the time my encounter with the sebarau, although I’ve got quite a number of sizeable sebarau after this, the first sebarau still remind me till today.

Just to share some of my fishing photo:-
 

    2.7kg sebarau @ Kuala Berang

 

1.5kg Sebarau at Kenyir

1 comment:

  1. Yes, our first catch will be the most remembered one. You have typed out a good article which is interesting.
    The Sebarau does give us a good fight, and they are fast.
    When lures fail, the evergreen spoon will catch them.

    Good article.
    Anyway, looking forward to more posts from you soon. Tight Lines!

    ReplyDelete